just a blog


My bball life

Right now, bball is like the only sport I really play alot. Thinking back, I have really come a long way in my bball life~~

The first time I remembered playing bball was in primary school. Dunno primary one or two, the stupid kind of age where guys and girls hate each other. At that age, you always see the guys shorter than the girls. I am one of them.

Bball was such a frickin irritating sport to me then. I can't run, I can't catch, can't dribble, can't shoot. And everybody can't too, so it's just one stupid game where everyone screams and throws the ball around and pray that it goes as intended.

Since then I've hated bball.

In sec3, my classmates, benji, yunzi, idol, tyy and gang ALWAYS play during reccess. And I always just sat there and watched. Damn sianz. They keep asking me to play but I thought it was such a not-fun game.

One day I decided to try. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I was so proud of myself cos I could touch the rim. I told myself that I must learn to dunk. I started loving the sport.

One fine day in sec 3, I managed to hang on the rim for the first time. I was so elated. Dying to show off to my friends, I did it again in the most bo-chup way you could imagine. I landed on my elbow and dislocated it. My ankle also buang. So I called my mum and I went to a chinese sinseh for the first time in my life.

I took damn long to recover, but I knew that bball was my sport.

Fast forward to JC. I was contemplating if I should join bball anot. My main concern was primarily that I suck. And I suck big-time. How to play in school team? But I don't want to be in stupid art club again. I've been in it for like, 4 frickin years, and it's damn frickin sian.

I decided to give it a try and go for the trials. Might not even get in anyway, so why worry so much. The selection process was kind of weird, I also don't know how they choose one. I think about 50 plus people signed up. I was like 'whoa'.

So we were made to do funny stuff like all the basic moves and play 3on3s and 1on1s so that the seniors and coach could see and select.

Well I don't remember much about those except that my 1on1 opponent went on to become my bunk mate in unit during my NS life. It's just so sad that I got selected in the end and he didn't.

Because my life in the team sucks. I can't click with the rest of the team at all. And it feels really competitive. I don't enjoy bball as much as I should.

And worse still, I was a frickin center. For the uninitiated, center is the position under the net for all those sumo wrestlers and involves alot of hustle and push and shove. BUT I'M A PEACEFUL MAN.

Okay maybe my control's not good enough to be a guard, but I guess I'd be much happier being a forward or something. In my second year, I nearly quit the team to join badminton.

Well the stupid badminton teacher-in-charge didn't allow me to join so I had to stay on in the team. I still loved bball, but I just don't like being in the team. Ah well, decided to just go with the flow and train up and do my part for the team.

Alas, I never even got to play a part.

About 2 months before the competition, I injured my frickin ankle again. So game over. I do carry on going for trainings. But then because of the stupid ankle, I can't chiong too much. And I lagged behind quite abit. The formations and all those shit stuff, I can't coordinate with them at all.

So I got dropped out of the team. After one plus year of fricking tough and time-consuming training, I got fricking kicked out of the team. I questioned myself, what the fuck for?

I wonder what the teacher-in-charge was thinking. There were very clearly 2 ways he could have managed this better.

1) Set up an amateur team for the non-compeitive people.
2) Select EXACTLY 12 team-members so that he won't end up kicking off anyone.

But we had like 17. So 5 had to be sacrificed. Somemore it's like, a few days before the competition. It was clearly a selfish solution. He wanted to be sure that he had at least 12 to enter the competition. And he can't let the frickin remaning 5 know in advance, cos else they'll pon training.

And my attendance was like 100%. And I fricking got kicked out. That period of time when we had exams and training three times per week was fucking xiong. I always go to school damn tired and go home even more tired.

Okay so I ended the JC phase of bball with a bad taste lingering in my mouth.

Started playing with outside people. Don't know if it's cos I was playing with a venegance or I was originally pretty good or what, but I realize that I'm actually not as bad as I thought.

Joined some sucky outside team; never really took part in competitions, but had my fair share of fun with them, and I had good practice.

After some time, I guess my passion just died down as I had to serve frickin NS and couldn't get to play there much anymore.

So here I am, starting a new phase of my bball life. In a light-hearted way. Most probably going to join the amateur NUS bball club.

Hopefully this time round, I'm gonna meet better people and have more fun. Else I know I'd just frickin quit.

2 Responses to “My bball life”

  1. # Blogger ocw

    Sorry idol, still no comment haha.,...anyway, your recess spell wrong haha. Junxian  

  2. # Blogger Daphne Maia

    u forgot abt whn we played bball! hahaahaha. ok la.. that wasnt reali playing but thn.. i haf fond memories of it. :)  

Post a Comment



© 2006 just a blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.