just a blog


Sportsmanship my arse.

K got me pissed again the other day.

Phase1
---------
Started off by commenting that even though I'm studying engineering now, I would most probably end up in a field that is not engineering. Being the smart aleck he is, he also predicted that I would end up in banking. (He is in banking)

Me: Why in the world, banking?
K: Cos I ask all my friends in banking, they say they from mech engin lah, civil engin lah, all the different engin fields.
Me: Wtf? Isn't that abit stereotyping? Do u mean to say that ur colleagues comprise of the entire engineering graduate cohort?
K: *Loss of words for 3 seconds* Nevermind lah, u just mark my words. We'll see in a few years.

I had no issue whatsoever with banking, but on that day, I made myself a promise that I will
NOT go into that field.

Yeah, I was pissed, but I can't really put into words
WHY I was pissed. Guess it's an ah beng thing. It felt like he was talking down to me. And not only did I feel that he was insulting me, he was also insulting engineers. He was even insulting banking as a whole, cos he made it sound like a rubbish dump.

I will remember his words, and I will end up
NOT being a banker, and make goddamn sure that HE knows about it!

Phase 2
----------
Well I didn't mention that we were at the bball court did I?

Yeah we were. After a few minutes of aimless shooting around and getting pissed, I asked him if he wanna 1 on 1.

K: Sure, I've been waiting for u to ask!
Me: Okay, let's play.
K: Okay, what forfeit? Pumping?
Me: Fuck, why u forever want to have forfeit one?? (Yes, he
ALWAYS asks for forfeit)
K: If no forfeit lose liao also like never lose wad.
Me: But lose already very sianz liao, what for want forfeit? We play bball for bball wad, for fun, for leisure!
K: (Listen to this)
Aiyah, but I'm past the stage of caring about wins and losses. It doesn't matter to me whether I win or lose.

That statement fucking pissed me off again. I know I'm getting abit irrational probably cos I got pissed abit earlier. Maybe sensing my buei-songness, we started without mentioning forfeits again.

And I won him 7-0, 7-3, 7-5, in three games.

Phase 3
----------
This other guy arrived on court awhile later. We decided to play free for all. 1 on 1 on 1.

K: Okay, what forfeit?
Me: Fuck lah, why do u love forfeits so much?!
K: Cos no forfeit lose liao no kick!
Me: *Rolls eyes* Haiyah anything lah up to u.

And we decided on... No,
HE decided on 20 pumpings for the 2 losers. Winner gets to rest.

So
WOW he kick started the game with 3 balls, so 3-0-0.

Me and the other guy were fooling around abit and after awhile the score became 5-5-0.

I had zero. I think K was enjoying himself alot as he was counting the scores out loud. Hungry for revenge maybe. And he counted his own score
BEFORE his shot reached the basket.

That is
FUCKIN' rude, if u guys have no idea the do's and dont's, the ethics on court.

So okay, the game ended 7-6-6, I won, and I especially enjoyed the view of him pumping himself.

The moral of the story?
Don't piss me off.

===

And since we're talking about sportsmanship, I think people really think of it too much as an ego thing, as the "ah beng instinct", as I like to call it.

In sports, u play to win. U don't argue with that. Sportsmanship, to me, is playing ur damn hardest in the game, within ethical means of course, but leaving the court having enjoyed the game, even if it was a loss.Unless there was foul play, of course.

Sportsmanship is
NOT hogging the ball during critical moments and not letting ur team mates have a chance to contribute. That is "ah beng instinct".

And people resort to dirty tricks all the time in order to "win". But ya know, I really don't think I'd call that winning. I'd rather call it "ending up with more points than your opponent."

Sportsmanship is healthy competitiveness. The bottom line has always been, and always will be, "It's just a game!"

0 Responses to “Sportsmanship my arse.”

Post a Comment



© 2006 just a blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.